For separation, cohabitation and marriage
Whether starting a relationship or ending one, the steps leading to an agreement are similar.
Steps to an agreement
- Choose a resolution method (see options below)
- Determine goals and interests of both parties
- Create a parenting plan (separation agreements only)
- Exchange financial information about assets, debts and incomes
- Receive legal advice and explore options for resolution to financial issues (property, child support and spousal support, estate issues)
- Reach a consensus on the terms for the agreement
- Prepare the agreement
While there are other resolution methods, these are the ones I provide.
- Communication is primarily lawyer-to-lawyer
- There may be four-way virtual meetings
- Lawyers gather financial information, or a third party is jointly retained to gather the information for both parties